Sant’Anna Institute Honors Semester Research Program
Spring 2023 and Fall 2023
Sant’Anna Institute is proud to announce our new International Honors Semester Research Program for Spring and Fall 2023.
This program is specifically designed for talented and ambitious U.S. undergraduate honors students who wish to:
- Deepen their research skills within an international context working alongside and under the supervision of a dedicated Sant’Anna faculty expert in the preferred subject area;
- Focus on urgent and global issues of contemporary interest for honors students such as Sustainability, Gender Studies, Criminology, and Human Rights;
- Develop on-site projects that require the submission of a final research paper, potentially leading to publication;
- Enrich their international education experience with an optional service learning project.
- 1 Italian Language or Italian Literature course (any level) – 3 credits
- 2 elective courses (taught in English) – 6 credits https://www.santannainstitute.com/courses-and-description/
- Participation in a 45-hour supervised research project culminating in a final paper or publication;
- Participation in an optional 45-hour supervised service learning project: https://www.santannainstitute.com/service-learning-santanna-institute-sorrento/
- 1 elective course (taught in English, 3 credits) related to the research project. You may find the list below.
- Project 1: HIST 350 Special Topics: History of the Mafia
- Project 2: WGS 201 Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies
- Project 3: POL 375 Special Topics: Human Rights
- Project 4: MSC 430 Marine Conservation
- Project 5: WL 325 Medieval Italian Literature I – Dante
- Total credits: 12
- Sophomore, junior, and senior honors students are eligible to apply. No previous research experience is required.
- Non-honors students with excellent academic credentials and strong interest in research can contact the Vice President of Student Affairs (please see contact info below) to verify the chances of admission to the program.
Fields of Study
- All fields of study are available and students who major in the social and natural sciences are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- An academic recommendation letter
- Letter of intent from the student describing their goals and expectations for the honors program (1 page)
Types of Projects
- The types of available research projects may include:
- 1) History of the Mafia: Project title: “Organized Crime in Italy from a Historical Perspective”
- 2) Gender studies: Project title: “Gender-based violence in Italy”
- 3) Human Rights: Project title: “Field research on migrants and refugees”
- 4) Marine Biology/Sustainability: Project title: “On-Field Research Program at the Marine Protected Area of Punta Campanella”
- 5) Italian Literature: Project title: “Dante’s Comedy in the contemporary culture “
For more information about these research projects and more, please feel free to contact our Vice President of Student Affairs Dr. Marco Marino at email@example.com or put him in touch with your Honors College.