Sant’Anna Institute Honors Semester Research Program
Spring and Fall 2021
Sant’Anna Institute, Sorrento Italy is proud to announce our new International Honors Semester Research Program for Fall and Spring 2021*.
This program is specifically designed for talented and ambitious U.S. undergraduate Honors students who wish to:
- Deepen their research skills within an international context working alongside and under the supervision of a dedicated Sant’Anna faculty expert in the preferred subject area;
- Focus on urgent and global issues of contemporary interest for Honors students such as Sustainability, Gender Studies, Criminology, and Human Rights;
- Develop on-site projects that require the submission of a final research paper, potentially leading to publication;
- Enrich their international eduation experience with an optional service learning project.
- One (1) Italian Language or Italian Literature course (any level) – 3 credits
- Two (2) Elective courses (taught in English) – 6 credits https://www.santannainstitute.com/courses-and-description/
- Participation in a 45 – hour supervised research project culminating in a final paper or publication;
- Participation in an optional 45 – hour supervised service learning project https://www.santannainstitute.com/service-learning-santanna-institute-sorrento/
- One (1) Elective course (taught in English, 3 credits) related to the research project (please find the list below) as follows:
Project 1: HIST 350 Special Topics: History of the Mafia
Project 2: POL 375 Special Topics: Human Rights
Project 3: WGS 201 Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies
Project 4: MSC 430 Marine Conservation
- Total credits: 12
- First-year, sophomore, and junior Honors students are eligible to apply. No previous research experience is required.
Fields of Study
- All fields of study are available and students who major in the Social and Natural Sciences are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- An academic recommendation letter
- Letter of intent from the student describing their goals and expectations for the Honors Program (1 page)
Types of Projects
- The types of available research projects may include:
- 1) History of the Mafia: Project title: “Organized Crime in Italy from a Historical Perspective”
- 2) Gender studies: Project title: “Gender-based violence in Italy”
- 3) Human Rights: Project title: “Field research on migrants and refugees”
- 4) Marine Biology/Sustainability: Project title: “On-Field Research Program at the Marine Protected Area of Punta Campanella”
For more information about these research projects and more, please feel free to contact our Academic Director Dr. Marco Marino at firstname.lastname@example.org or put him or her in touch with your Honors College.
*Please note that this program may also be available in Fall 2020 – subject to market conditions and on a case by case basis. Students who are interested in this option are kindly invited to contact Sant’Anna Academic Director Dr. Marco Marino by July 30,2020 at email@example.com.